The International Union of Architects (UIA) - Region IV Work Programme on 'Architecture For All'
Since the year 2001, HKIA has hosted the UIA Region IV Work Programme on 'Architecture for All'.
Work Programme Mission & Objectives
- To promote the concept of Architecture for All (AfA) in architectural and urban design to professionals, students, policy makers and communities;
- To ensure that Architecture for All is understood as an essential component of architectural quality; and
- To contribute to the inclusion and quality of life of all those impacted by an inaccessible built environment.
- By developing and promoting the UIA Friendly Spaces Accessible to All Award;
- By building, promoting and maintaining a database of exemplary design in AfA which will stimulate and inspire architectural practice;
- By developing and mainstreaming a website & Facebook page for the WP linked to the UIA;
- By expanding the network of Architects & others with relevant expertise & interest in AfA;
- By collaborating with other regional and global organisations with similar objectives;
- By responding to requests for speakers, exhibitions, events, and jury members;
- By participating in standards development;
- By compiling information on the education and training of architects in Universal/Inclusive Design and Design for All to establish best practice in course material, content and delivery; and
- By co-ordinating activities with other UIA work Programmes.
- Friendly Spaces Award 2017;
- Database of exemplary projects;
- Expanded website and Facebook page;
- Publications and study visits;
- Conferences and seminars;
- Data on existing accredited education and training courses for architects in Design for All, Inclusive & Universal Design;
- Sponsorship; and
- Events for the next UIA Congress to be held in Seoul in 2017