|| About us
The International Union of Architects (UIA) ¡V Region IV
Work Programme on ¡¥Architecture For All¡¦
Since the year 2001, HKIA has hosted the UIA Region IV Work Programme on ¡§Architecture for All¡¨.
This UIA Work Programme had co-organized with ARCASIA on three seminar / workshop during their annual Congress / Forum. The joint events were held in Singapore in 2001, in Dhaka Bangladesh in 2003 and in Macau in 2004.
This UIA Work Program has also reported to the UIA in the UIA Congress in Berlin 2002, and Istanbul 2005.
Year Plan 2008 to 2011
The Board development impact to which WP contributes
- Strengthen the concept of ¡§Architectural for All¡¨ in Hong Kong and Region IV.
- Promote barrier-free architecture and universal accessibility in Hong Kong and Region IV by enhancing accessibility and usability of the built environment.
- Training of teachers (academic) education ¡V teachers and students at undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
- Promote of UN Convention of Rights of Persons with Disabilities ¡V legislations and building regulations to be upgraded.
- Extend national awards invitation to regional students.
- Promote international workshops to regional students.
- Outreach to Region V (Africa).
- Collaborate with Japanese Schools of Architecture
The development outcome at the end of the project ¡V more specifically the expected benefits to the target group(s)
- UIA Headquarters: Widely share information amongst HKIA Members and Region IV Member Sections.
- Networking with Global Partners and other Professional Bodies.
- Local Community: Further promote the concept of accessibility and universal design in the built environment in Hong Kong and Region IV.
- Universities: Provide architectural students with an early appreciation and understanding of accessible environments.
- Raise the awareness amongst architectural teachers/students of the rights of disabilities.
- Proactive involvement into international awards, workshops as well as assemblies of Region IV architects.
- Participate in seminars/workshops/visits of UIA World Congress 2011 Tokyo.
The direct/ tangible results (goods and services) that WP produces
- Maintain an official Website of the WP containing event calendar, news, case studies, publications, useful links, related regulations and guidelines and contact information of WP Members and Representatives.
- Issue e-publication/newsletter.
- Organize small group visits to significant public projects.
- Collaborate with Universities in arranging lectures on topics relating universal accessibility and barrier-free design, etc
- Collaborate with governmental departments / NGOs in implementing and promoting universal accessibility and barrier-free access 2008, etc.
- Benchmark the participation of Region V Members in participating international conference/assembly/awards.
- Deepen the understanding of architects in organizing world congress.
Tasks that have to be undertaken to deliver the desired results
- Meetings, fund-raising, liaison, collaboration and coordination, recruitment of volunteers etc.
- Call for meetings with Region IV representatives.